- 1 1st Christmas, according to calendar-maker Dionysus Exiguus
- 800 Pope Leo III crowns Charles the Great (Charlemagne), Roman emperor
- 1066 Duke William of Normandy ('William the Conqueror) crowned king of England
- 1741 Astronomer Anders Celsius introduces Centigrade temperature scale
- 1868 Despite bitter opposition, President A Johnson grants unconditional pardon to all persons involved in Southern rebellion (Civil War)
- 1991 Mikhail Gorbachev formally resigns as President of USSR in a televised speech
Legendary "Christmas Truce" takes place on the battlefields of WWI between British and German troops. Instead of fighting, soldiers exchange gifts and play football.
On December 25, 1914