- 1492 1st Spanish settlement La Navidad (modern Môle-Saint-Nicolas) in New World founded, by Columbus
- 1620 Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth, MA
- 1792 During trial of French King Louis XVI court hears the kings defense brought by Raymond Desèze
- 1825 Decembrist uprising in Russia against Tsar Nicholas I begins [O.S. 14 December]
- 2004 A 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and many other areas around the rim of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people.
Horror film "The Exorcist" starring Linda Blair & rated X, premieres - 1st horror film to be nominated for Best Picture
On December 26, 1973