- 1170 Assassination inside Canterbury Cathedral of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury by followers of King Henry II; he subsequently becomes a saint and martyr in the Anglican Church and the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1835 The Treaty of New Echota is signed, ceding all the lands of the Cherokee east of the Mississippi River to the United States.
- 1845 Texas admitted as 28th state of the Union
- 1903 French Equatorial Africa separates into Gabon, Chad & Ubangi-Shari
- 1940 Germany begins dropping incendiary bombs on London (WW II)
- 1997 Hong Kong begins slaughtering all its chickens to prevent bird flu
The first British seagoing iron-clad warship, HMS Warrior is launched.
On December 29th, 1860