- 1586 Sir Thomas Herriot introduces potatoes to England from Colombia
- 1854 Eureka Stockade: In what is claimed by many to be the birth of Australian democracy, more than 20 goldminers at Ballarat, Victoria, Australia are killed by state troopers in an uprising over mining licences.
- 1967 1st human heart transplant performed (Dr Christian Barnard, South Africa)
- 1984 Union Carbide pesticide plant leak of methyl isocyanate and other toxic compounds in Bhopal, India, kills 2,259 (official figure) - other estimates as high as 16,000 (including later deaths) and over half a million injured
- 1989 Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and US President George H. W. Bush, declare the Cold War over
First official US flag raised (Grand Union Flag) aboard naval vessel USS Alfred
On December 3, 1775