- 1534 Turkish sultan Suleiman occupies Baghdad
- 1619 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish in England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many as the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.
- 1791 Britain's Observer, oldest Sunday newspaper in the world, first published
- 1829 Britain outlaws "suttee" in India (widow burning herself to death on her husband's funeral pyre)
- 1923 Cecil B. DeMille's first version of "Ten Commandments" premieres
The ship the Mary Celeste discovered mysteriously abandoned by her crew in the Atlantic Ocean
On December 4, 1872