- 1534 Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent occupies Baghdad
- 1619 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish, England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.
- 1791 Britain's Observer, oldest Sunday newspaper in the world, first published
- 1829 Britain outlaws "suttee" in India (widow burning herself to death on her husband's funeral pyre)
- 1923 Cecil B. DeMille's first version of "The Ten Commandments" premieres
Ship the Mary Celeste is discovered mysteriously abandoned by her crew in the Atlantic Ocean
On December 4, 1872