- 771 Charlemagne becomes the sole King of the Franks after the death of his brother Carloman.
- 1349 500 Jews of Nuremberg massacre during Black Death riots
- 1456 Earthquake strikes Naples; about 35,000 die
- 1848 President Polk triggers Gold Rush of 1849 by confirming gold discovery in California
- 1933 21st Amendment to the US Constitution ratified, 18th Amendment (Prohibition of alcohol) repealed (5:32 PM EST)
English pirate Blackbeard ransacks the merchant sloop "Margaret" and keeps her captain, Henry Bostock prisoner for 8 hours before releasing him. Bostock later provides 1st record of Blackbeard's appearance, providing the source for his name
On December 5, 1717