- 771 Charlemagne becomes the sole King of the Franks after the death of his brother Carloman.
- 1349 500 Jews of Nuremberg massacre during Black Death riots
- 1456 Earthquake strikes Naples; about 35,000 die
- 1840 Napoleon Bonaparte receives a French state funeral in Paris 19 years after his death
- 1848 President Polk triggers Gold Rush of 1849 by confirming gold discovery in California
- 1933 21st Amendment to the US Constitution ratified, 18th Amendment (Prohibition of alcohol) repealed (5:32 PM EST)
Blackbeard ransacks the merchant sloop "Margaret" and keeps her captain, Henry Bostock, prisoner for 8 hours before releasing him. Bostock would later provide the first recorded of Blackbeard's appearance, with specific reference to his "very black beard", providing the source for his name
On December 5th, 1717