- 1863 Abraham Lincoln issues his Amnesty Proclamation and plan for Reconstruction of the South
- 1941 US & Britain declare war on Japan, US enters WW II
- 1941 President Roosevelt delivers "Day of Infamy" speech to US Congress a day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor
- 1965 Pope Paul VI signs 2nd Vatican council
- 1966 US & USSR sign treaty to prohibit nuclear weapons in outer space
- 2004 The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
Dwight D. Eisenhower gives his "Atoms for Peace" speech at the UN in New York.
On December 8, 1953