- 536 Byzantine General Belisarius enters Rome while the Ostrogothic garrison peacefully leaves the city, returning the old capital to its empire.
- 1212 Frederick II (later also Holy Roman Emperor) crowned King of Germany in Mainz.
- 1968 NLS (a system for which hypertext and the computer mouse were developed) is publicly demonstrated for the first time in San Francisco.
- 1990 Lech Walesa wins presidental election in Poland
- 1992 Operation Restore Hope - US Marines land in Somalia
Nicolae Ceaușescu becomes President (dictator) of Romania; overthrown in 1989
On December 9th, 1967