- 536 Byzantine General Belisarius enters Rome while the Ostrogothic garrison peacefully leaves the city, returning the old capital to its empire.
- 1212 Frederick II (later also Holy Roman Emperor) crowned King of Germany in Mainz
- 1968 NLS (a system for which hypertext and the computer mouse were developed) is publicly demonstrated for the first time in San Francisco.
- 1990 Lech Wałęsa wins Poland's 1st direct presidential election in Poland
- 1992 Operation Restore Hope - US Marines land in Somalia
Nicolae Ceaușescu becomes President of Romania (overthrown 1989)
On December 9, 1967