- 1014 Pope Benedict VIII crowns Henry II Roman German Emperor
- 1076 Pope Gregory VII excommunicates Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV (for the 1st time)
- 1797 The Battle of Cape St Vincent: British fleet under Admiral Sir John Jervis defeats larger Spanish fleet under Admiral Don José de Córdoba y Ramos near Cape St. Vincent, Portugal. Captain Horatio Nelson distinguishes himself.
- 1876 A G Bell & Elisha Gray apply separately for telephone patents Supreme Court eventually rules Bell rightful inventor
- 1929 St Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago, 7 gangsters killed, allegedly on Al Capone's orders
1st "micro on a chip" patented by Texas Instruments
On February 14, 1978