- 1568 Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II agrees to pay tribute to the Ottoman Empire for peace
- 1865 Columbia, South Carolina, burns down during American Civil War
- 1876 Sardines first canned by Julius Wolff in Eastport, Maine
- 1969 Golda Meir sworn in as the first female Prime Minister of Israel
- 1972 British Parliament votes to join the European Common Market
- 2017 Discovery of a new mostly underwater continent Zealandia in the South Pacific announced in research journal "GSA Today"
The world's first superhero, The Phantom, a cartoon strip by Lee Falk, makes his first appearance in comics.
On February 17, 1936
Oldest known case of human-Neanderthal sex (100,000 yrs ago) revealed by Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (Leipzig), 50,000 yr old Neanderthal woman's remains from Altai mountains show traces of Homo Sapiens DNA
On February 17, 2016