- 1653 New Amsterdam becomes a city (later renamed New York)
- 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ends the Mexican-American War: US acquires Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona for $15 million
- 1901 Queen Victoria's funeral takes place in St. George's Chapel
- 1922 James Joyce's "Ulysses" published in Paris (1,000 copies)
- 1943 German 6th Army surrenders after Battle of Stalingrad in a major turning point in Europe during World War II
- 1971 Idi Amin ousts Milton Obote and appoints himself President (dictator) of Uganda
British sailor Alexander Selkirk is rescued after being marooned on a desert island for 5 years, his story inspires "Robinson Crusoe"
On February 2, 1709