- 1792 US postal service created, postage 6-12 cents depending on distance
- 1816 Rossini's opera "Barber of Seville" premieres in Rome
- 1872 New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art opens
- 1873 British Naval Officer John Morseby discovers the site of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and claims it for Britain
- 1938 UK Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden resigns stating Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain has appeased Nazi Germany
- 1947 Earl Mountbatten of Burma appointed as last viceroy of India to oversee the move to independence.
Scientists successfully regenerate the flowering plant, Silene stenophylla from a 31,800 year old piece of fruit, greatly surpassing the previous record of 2,000 years
On February 20, 2012