- 303 Roman Emperor Diocletian begins his policy of persecuting Christians, razing the church at Nicomedia
- 1455 Johannes Gutenberg prints his first Bible (estimated date)
- 1540 Francisco Vázquez de Coronado's expedition sets off from Mexico in search of the 7 cities of Cibola
- 1836 Alamo besieged for 13 days until 6th March by Mexican army under General Santa Anna; entire garrison eventually killed
- 1904 United States acquires control of the Panama Canal Zone for $10 million
- 1945 US Marines raise the flag on Iwo Jima, later a famous photo and Marine Corps War Memorial sculpture
- 1997 Scientists in Scotland announce they have cloned an adult mammal, producing a lamb named "Dolly"
- 1998 Osama bin Laden publishes a fatwa declaring jihad against all Jews and Crusaders.
Major Walter Clopton Winfield patents a game called "sphairistike" (lawn tennis)
On February 23rd, 1874