- 211 Roman Emperor Septimius Severus dies, leaving the Roman Empire in the hands of his two quarrelsome sons, Caracalla and Geta.
- 960 The coronation of Zhao Kuangyin as Emperor Taizu of Song, initiating three centuries of Song Dynasty dominance
- 1789 1st US electoral college chooses Washington & Adams as President and Vice-President
- 1859 The Codex Sinaiticus is discovered in Egypt.
- 1865 Robert E. Lee is named general-in-chief of Confederate forces
- 1969 The Palestine National Congress appoints Yasser Arafat chairman of the PLO
1st radioactive substance produced synthetically (radium E)
On February 4th, 1936