- 1576 Henry of Navarre (later Henry IV of France) abjures Catholicism at Tours
- 1885 News of fall of Khartoum reaches London
- 1885 King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo as a personal colonial possession
- 1937 1st Charlie Chaplin talkie, "Modern Times," released
- 1988 Panamanian General Manuel Noriega indicted by US federal grand jury for drug trafficking and racketeering
The Royal Greenwich Observatory begin broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal or the "BBC pips".
On February 5th, 1924