- 1238 The Mongols burn the Russian city of Vladimir.
- 1301 Edward of Caernarion (later Edward II) becomes first (English) prince of Wales
- 1842 Battle of Debre Tabor: Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien.
- 1856 The colonial Tasmanian Parliament passes the first piece of legislation (the Electoral Act of 1856) anywhere in the world providing for elections by way of a secret ballot.
- 1991 The IRA launches a mortar attack on 10 Downing Street during a cabinet meeting.
Henry Clay declares in Senate "I had rather be right than president"
On February 7th, 1839