- 1672 Isaac Newton reads 1st optics paper before Royal Society in London
- 1807 Battle of Eylau ends inconclusively between Napoleon's forces and Russian Empire - 1st battle Napoleon isn't victorious
- 1915 D. W. Griffith's silent film "The Birth of a Nation" opens at Clune's Auditorium in Los Angeles - first 12-reel film in America
- 1952 Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc
- 1960 Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issued an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name "Mountbatten-Windsor".
- 1971 The Nasdaq stock market index debuts.
- 2013 100, 000 people march to demand justice for the atrocities of the Bangladesh Liberation War in Dhaka
Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio becomes Walt Disney Studios
On February 8th, 1926