- 1528 Gustav I of Sweden "father of the nation" crowned King of Sweden. Rules 37 years
- 1872 Yohannes IV is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia in Axum, the first imperial coronation in that city in over 200 years.
- 1948 Mahatma Gandhi begins his final fast
- 1967 Dr. James Bedford becomes the first person to be cryonically preserved with intent of future resuscitation.
- 2010 Earthquake occurs in Haiti killing 230,000 and destroying the majority of the capital Port-au-Prince
After using other pseudonyms over the years, Josef Dzhugashvili signs himself as Stalin ("man of steel") in a letter to the paper, Social Democrat
On January 12, 1913