- 1785 John Walter publishes 1st issue of "The Times" of London
- 1842 Dr. William Brydon, a surgeon in the British Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for (reputedly) being the sole survivor of an army of 16,500 when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- 1888 National Geographic Society founded in Washington, D.C.
- 1906 Telimco makes the 1st ever advertisment for a radio set, by advertising a $7.50 set in the "Scientific American" which claimed to receive signals for up to one mile
- 2000 Microsoft chairman Bill Gates steps aside as chief executive and promotes company president Steve Ballmer to the position
"Mickey Mouse" comic strip 1st appears
On January 13, 1930