- 588 BC Nebuchadrezzar II of Babylon lays siege to Jerusalem under Zedekiah's reign. The siege lasts until July 23, 586 BC.
- 1535 Henry VIII declares himself head of the Church in England
- 1559 Elizabeth I crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey
- 1759 British Museum opens in Montague House, London
- 1889 The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1895 Tchaikovsky's ballet "Swan Lake" premieres, St Petersburg (1/27 NS)
World's largest office building, the Pentagon is completed
On January 15th, 1943