- 27 BC The title Augustus is bestowed upon Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian by the Roman Senate.
- 1412 The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1547 Ivan IV the Terrible (17) crowns himself first tsar of Moscow
- 1793 French King Louis XVI sentenced to death by the National Convention during the French Revolution
- 1913 British House of Commons accepts Home Rule for Ireland (but the Great War gets in the way of it happening)
- 1920 1st assembly of the League of Nations (Paris)
Daily newspaper comic strip "Superman" debuts
On January 16, 1939