- 379 Theodosius installed as co-emperor of East Roman Empire
- 1812 Peninsular War: After a ten day siege, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, orders British soldiers of the Light and third divisions to storm Ciudad Rodrigo.
- 1883 The first electric lighting system employing overhead wires, built by Thomas Edison, begins service at Roselle, New Jersey.
- 1977 World's largest crowd gathering - the Hindu Kumbh Mela in India attracts a then record 15 million people
- 2013 Calcium deposits are discovered on Mars by NASA’s Curiosity Rover
Coopers Inc. sells the world's first men's briefs in Chicago, calls it the "Jockey"
On January 19, 1935