- 1506 The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrive at the Vatican.
- 1689 Prince William of Orange (future King William III of Britain), summons Convention Parliament to discuss ruling jointly with his wife Mary (daughter of exiled King James II)
- 1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift: British garrison of 150 holds off 3,000-4,000 Zulu warriors. Eleven Victoria Crosses and a number of other decorations were awarded to the defenders.
- 1905 In St Petersburg, Russia, a large demonstration of workers led by Father Gapon, march to the Winter Palace with a petition to the Tsar; troops fire on protesters in what becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday'
- 1946 US president sets up CIA, Central Intelligence Agency
World's largest cheese (15,723 kg) manufactured in Wisconsin for New York's World Fair
On January 22nd, 1964