- 1554 Founding of São Paulo city, Brazil.
- 1565 Battle at Talikota India: the Deccan sultanate destroy Vijayanagar's army and the last Hindu kingdom of Southern India
- 1840 American naval expedition under Charles Wilkes first to identify Antarctica as a new continent
- 1949 1st Israeli election - Ben-Gurion's Mapai party wins
- 2011 Egyptian Revolution of 2011 begins with a series of street demonstrations, marches, rallies, acts of civil disobedience, riots, labor strikes and violent clashes in Cairo, Alexandria and other major cities
Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" first played, at wedding of Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Victoria, to crown prince of Prussia
On January 25, 1858