- 1482 "Pentateuch" the Jewish Bible is 1st printed as a book in Bologna, Italy
- 1531 Lisbon hit by Earthquake; about 30,000 die
- 1564 The Council of Trent issued its conclusions in the Tridentinum, establishing a distinction between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.
- 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip and British colonists hoist the Union Flag at Sydney Cove, New South Wales, now celebrated as Australia Day
- 1998 President Bill Clinton says "I want to say one thing to the American people; I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"
World's largest diamond, the 3,106-carat Cullinan, is found in South Africa
On January 26, 1905