- 661 Rashidun Caliphate, then the largest empire in history, ends with death of Ali. Succeeded by the Umayyad Caliphate
- 1825 U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (in what is present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the "Trail of Tears."
- 1924 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square, Moscow
- 1944 Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days at the loss of 600,000 killed
- 1945 Russia liberates Auschwitz and Birkenau Concentration Camps in Poland
- 1973 US & North Vietnam's William Rogers & Nguyen Duy Trinh sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and miltary draft
- 2016 OnThisDay.com receives a substantial face-lift, courtesy of a fresh new website design and brand by design studio Fhoke. Dedicated history and film and television channels are launched alongside the new design.
National Geographic Society formed in Washington, D.C.
On January 27th, 1888