- 1521 Emperor Charles V opens the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany which lasts until May 25th. Produced the "Edict of Worms" which dennouced Martin Luther
- 1807 London's Pall Mall is 1st street lit by gaslight
- 1813 Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" is published by Thomas Egerton in the United Kingdom.
- 1819 Sir Stamford Raffles lands in Singapore
- 1933 The name "Pakistan" is coined by Choudhry Rahmat Ali and gradually accepted by Muslims in the Indian sub-continent who use it to push for a separate Muslim homeland in South Asia
Russian expedition led by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev discover the continent of Antarctica
On January 28, 1820