- 1847 Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- 1865 The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City.
- 1936 Billboard magazine publishes its 1st music hit parade
- 1959 Luna 1 (Mechta) becomes 1st craft to leave Earth's gravity
- 1961 Longest recorded strike ends-33 yrs-Danish barbers' assistants
Topsy, an elephant, electrocuted by Thomas Edison during the "War of Currents" campaign.
On January 4, 1903