- 1099 City of Jerusalem is captured and plundered by Christian forces during the First Crusade
- 1381 John Ball, a leader in the Peasants' Revolt, is hung, drawn and quartered in the presence of Richard II of England.
- 1410 Battle of Grunwald (2nd Battle of Tannenburg), one of Medieval Europe's largest battles during Poland-Lithuanian Teutonic War. Polish King Władysław Jagiełło and Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas defeat Teutonic Ulrich von Jungingen
- 1799 The Rosetta Stone is found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard during Napoleon's Egyptian Campaign.
- 1955 18 Nobel laureates sign the Mainau Declaration against nuclear weapons, later co-signed by 34 more laureates
Alcoholic Anonymous founded in Britain
On July 15, 1948