- 306 Constantine I is proclaimed Roman Emperor by his troops
- 1814 English engineer George Stephenson introduces the 1st steam locomotive
- 1943 Benito Mussolini dismissed as Italian Premier and arrested on the authority of King Victor Emmanuel III
- 1944 World War II: Operation Spring - one of Canada's bloodiest days, 18,444 casualties and 5,021 killed
- 1978 Louise Brown, the world's first test tube baby is born at Oldham General Hospital in England
- 1997 Scientists announce the first human stem cells to be cultured in a laboratory using tissue taken from aborted human embryos
Ajinomoto Co. is founded. Kikunae Ikeda of the Tokyo Imperial University discovers a key ingredient in Konbu soup stock is monosodium glutamate (MSG), patents a process for manufacturing it.
On July 25, 1908