- 1586 Sir Thomas Harriot introduces potatoes to Europe on return to England
- 1794 French Revolution figure Robespierre & 22 other leaders of "the Terror" guillotined to thunderous cheers in Paris
- 1914 Austria-Hungary decides against mediation and declares war on Serbia - first declaration of war of WWI
- 1917 Silent Parade organised by James Weldon Johnson of 10,000 African-American march on 5th Ave (NYC) protesting against lynching
- 1943 World War II: Operation Gomorrah: The British bomb Hamburg causing a firestorm that kills 42,000 German civilians.
- 2005 The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland.
First use of fingerprints as a means of identification is made by Sir William James Herschel of the Indian Civil Service
On July 28th, 1858