- 1520 Battle of Otumba Mexico: Hernán Cortés and the Tlaxcalans defeat a numerically superior Aztec force
- 1753 British Museum founded by an Act of Parliament (opens in 1759)
- 1937 Japanese & Chinese troops clash at the Marco Polo Bridge, beginning of Second Sino-Japanese War
- 1947 Alleged and disputed Roswell UFO incident occured
- 2005 Coordinated terrorist bomb blasts strike London's public transport system during the morning rush hour killing 52 and injuring 700
- 2005 Influenced by Live 8, the G8 leaders pledge to double 2004 levels of aid to Africa from US$25 to US$50 billion by the year 2010.
Sliced bread sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company, Missouri, using a machine invented by Otto Frederick Rohwedder. Described as the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped.
On July 7, 1928