- 1401 Turko-Mongol ruler Tamerlane (Timur) destroys Baghdad, killing 20,000
- 1790 Russo-Swedish War: Second Battle of Svensksund - in the Baltic Sea, the Swedish Navy captures one third of the Russian fleet.
- 1893 Daniel Williams performs 1st successful open heart surgery without anesthesia
- 1917 British battleship Vanguard explodes at Scapa Flow (the result of an internal explosion of faulty cordite), killing 804
- 2002 The African Union is established in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The first chairman is Thabo Mbeki, President of South Africa.
First ever Wimbledon tennis championship begins - first offical lawn tennis tournament - men's singles only
On July 9, 1877