- 1190 Third Crusade: Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa drowns while crossing the Saleph River (modern Turkey) leading an army to Jerusalem
- 1786 A landslide dam on the Dadu River caused by earthquake ten days earlier collapses, killing 100,000 in the Sichuan province of China
- 1916 Great Arab Revolt begins against ruling Ottoman turks
- 1963 US President JFK signs law for equal pay for equal work for men & women
- 1977 Apple Computer ships its first Apple II computers
- 2003 The Spirit Rover is launched, beginning NASA's Mars Exploration Rover mission.
1st public zoo opens in Paris
On June 10, 1793