- 763 BC Assyrians record a solar eclipse that will be used to fix the chronology of Mesopotamian history
- 1215 King John signs Magna Carta at Runnymede, near Windsor, England
- 1775 George Washington appointed commander-in-chief of the Continental Army, the day after Congress establishes the force
- 1896 Tsunami strikes Shinto festival on beach at Sanriku, Japan; 27,000 are killed, 9,000 injured and 13,000 houses destroyed
- 1940 World War II: France surrenders to NAZI Germany, German troops occupy Paris
- 2015 Real estate mogul Donald Trump launches his campaign for US President
Dannebrog is the flag of Denmark and the oldest national flag in the world. According to legend, it fell from the sky during the Battle of Lyndanisse (now Tallinn) in Estonia, and turned the Danes' luck.
On June 15, 1219