- 1858 Abraham Lincoln says "A house divided against itself cannot stand" accepting Illinois Republican Party's nomination for the Senate
- 1880 Salvation Army forms in London
- 1904 Bloomsday (date of events in James Joyce's Ulysses)
- 1935 US Congress accepts FDR's "New Deal"
- 2000 Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Sheba Farms.
1st stone layed at Dutch biggest grain windmill (De Walvisch)
On June 16th, 1794