- 656 Ali ibn Abu Talib chosen kalief of Islam
- 1291 After 200 years of crusader control, Acre is the last crusader stronghold reconquered and destroyed by the Mamluks under Sultan al-Ashraf Khalil
- 1579 Sir Francis Drake lands on coast of California at Drakes Bay, names it "New Albion"
- 1631 Mumtaz Mahal dies during childbirth. Her husband, Mughal emperor Shah Jahan I, then spends more than 20 years building her tomb, the Taj Mahal.
- 1856 Republican Party opens its 1st national convention in Philadelphia
Last public guillotining in France. Eugen Weidmann, a convicted murderer, is guillotined in Versailles outside the prison Saint-Pierre.
On June 17, 1939