- 618 Coronation of the Chinese governor Li Yuan as Emperor Gaozu of Tang, the new Emperor of China, initiating three centuries of the Tang Dynasty's rule over China.
- 1812 War of 1812 begins as US declares war against Britain
- 1815 Battle of Waterloo; Napoleon and France defeated by British forces under Wellington and Prussian troops under Blucher
- 1928 American aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the 1st woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean landing at Burry Port, Wales
- 1940 Winston Churchill's "this was their finest hour" speech urging perseverance during Battle of Britain delivered to British House of Commons
- 1948 UN Commission on Human Rights adopts the International Declaration of Human Rights
Richard Martin of London takes out first life insurance policy, on William Gibbons; premium was £383
On June 18, 1583