- 1633 Galileo Galilei forced to recant his Copernican views that the Earth orbits the Sun by the Pope (Oct 31 1992 Vatican admits it was wrong)
- 1675 Royal Greenwich Observatory established in England by Charles II
- 1772 Somerset v Stewart UK court case finds slavery unsupported by English common law, encourages abolitionist movement
- 1848 Beginning of the June Days Uprising in Paris.
- 1934 John Dillinger is informally named America's first Public Enemy Number One
- 1941 Germany, Italy & Romania declare war on Soviet Union
Henry Hudson set adrift in Hudson Bay by mutineers on his ship Discovery & never seen again
On June 22nd, 1611