- 930 World's oldest parliament, the Icelandic Parliament, the Alþingi (anglicised as Althing or Althingi), established
- 1868 Christopher Latham Sholes patents the "Type-writer"
- 1894 The International Olympic Committee is founded at the Sorbonne, Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin
- 1972 Hurricane Agnes becomes America's costliest natural disaster, effecting 15 states, with 119 deaths and $3 billion in damage
- 1974 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space
- 2016 United Kingdom votes to leave the European Union in their "Brexit" referundum
Frederick Douglass is 1st African-American nominated for US President
On June 23, 1888