- 363 Roman Emperor Julian is killed during retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by troops on the battlefield.
- 1794 Battle of Fleurus: major victory by forces of the First French Republic under General Jean-Baptiste Jourdan over the Coalition Army (Great Britain, Hanover, Dutch Republic, and Habsburgs) first use of reconnaissance balloon
- 1857 The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria
- 1896 1st movie theater in the US opens - Vitascope Hall in New Orleans, charging 10 cents for admission
- 1917 1st US Expeditionary Force arrives in France during World War I
- 2016 Panama Canal's third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canal’s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion
The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
On June 26, 1974