- 1760 Great Upheaval: New England planters arrive to claim land in Nova Scotia, Canada taken from the Acadians
- 1940 British complete the "Miracle of Dunkirk" by evacuating 338,226 allied troops from France via a flotilla of over 800 vessels including Royal Navy destroyers, merchant marine boats, fishing boats, pleasure craft and even lifeboats
- 1945 US, Soviet Union, Britain and France agree to divide up occupied Germany
- 1989 Eastern Europe's 1st partial free elections in 40 years held in Poland, Solidarity Party comes to power
- 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre: Chinese troops clear the square of student protesters, unofficial figures place death toll near 1,000.
A patent for the ATM is granted to Don Wetzel, Tom Barnes and George Chastain.
On June 4, 1973