- 1523 Gustav Vasa is elected King of Sweden, marking the end of the Kalmar Union.
- 1716 1st slaves arrive in Louisiana
- 1944 Operation Neptune, D-Day: 150,000 Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France in WWII
- 1982 30,000 Israeli troops invade Lebanon to drive out PLO
- 2002 Eastern Mediterranean Event. A near-Earth asteroid estimated at 10 metres diameter explodes over the Mediterranean Sea between Greece and Libya. The resulting explosion is estimated to have a force of 26 kilotons, slightly more powerful than the Nagasaki atomic bomb.
Electric iron patented by Henry W Seely, NYC
On June 6, 1882