- 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas: Spain and Portugal divide the new world along a meridian 370 leagues west of the Cape Verde islands, off the west coast of Africa
- 1628 English King Charles I ratifies the Petition of Rights
- 1654 Louis XIV crowned King of France
- 1929 Vatican City becomes a sovereign state
- 1965 The Supreme Court of the United States decides on Griswold v. Connecticut, effectively legalizing the use of contraception by married couples.
- 1975 Sony introduces the Betamax videocassette recorder for sale to the public
Thomas Malthus publishes the first edition of his influential 'Essay on the Principle of Population' (date of the unsigned preface)
On June 7, 1798