- 538 Witiges, king of the Ostrogoths, ends his siege of Rome and retreats to Ravenna, leaving the city in the hands of the victorious Roman general, Belisarius.
- 1455 First record of Johann Gutenberg's Bible, letter dated this day by Enea Silvio Piccolomini refers to the bible printed a year before
- 1860 Congress accepts Pre-emption Bill: free land in West for colonists
- 1930 Mohandas Gandhi begins 200m (300km) march protesting British salt tax
- 1994 Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests
Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi
On March 12, 1894