- 597 BC Babylonians capture Jerusalem, replace Jehoiachin with Zedekiah as king.
- 1792 King Gustav III of Sweden is shot by Count Anckarström at a masked ball at the Opera; he dies on March 29.
- 1867 First publication of an article by Joseph Lister outlining the discovery of antiseptic surgery, in The Lancet.
- 1935 Adolf Hitler orders German rearmament in violation of The Treaty of Versailles
- 1968 General Motors produces its 100 millionth automobile, the Oldsmobile Toronado.
Sir Arthur Evans rediscovers the bronze age city of Knossos in Crete, home of the legendary Minotaur
On March 16th, 1900