- 1279 A Mongolian victory at the naval Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China.
- 1644 200 members of Peking imperial family/court commit suicide in loyalty to the Emperor
- 1920 US Senate rejects Treaty of Versailles for 2nd time refusing to ratify League of Nations' covenant (maintaining isolation policy)
- 1932 The Sydney Harbour Bridge is opened.
- 2003 Invasion of Iraq by American and British led coalition begins without United Nations support and in defiance of world opinion
Confederate cruiser SS Georgiana destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, and medicines then valued over $1,000,000. Wreck discovered exactly 102 years later by teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence.
On March 19, 1863