- 1549 The city of Salvador da Bahia, the first capital of Brazil, is founded.
- 1795 Ludwig van Beethoven (24) has his debut performance as pianist in Vienna
- 1901 Edmund Barton is elected Prime Minister in Australia's first parliamentary election
- 1912 Capt Robert Scott, storm-bound in a tent near South Pole, makes last entry in his diary "the end cannot be far"
- 1961 After a 4½ year trial Nelson Mandela is acquitted of treason in Pretoria
- 1974 Chinese farmers discover the Terracotta Army near Xi'an, 8,000 clay warrior statues buried to guard tomb of China's 1st emperor Qin Shi Huang
- 1999 The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes at 10006.78 - above the 10,000 mark for the first time ever.
The Republic of Ireland becomes the first country in the world to ban smoking in all work places, including bars and restaurants.
On March 29th, 2004