- 1575 Indian Mughal Emperor Akbar defeats Bengali army at the Battle of Tukaroi.
- 1857 Second Opium War: France and the United Kingdom declare war on China.
- 1861 Alexander II of Russia signs the Emancipation Manifesto, freeing serfs [OS=Feb 19].
- 1887 Anne Sullivan begins teaching 6 year old blind-deaf Helen Keller
- 1939 In Mumbai (Bombay), Mohandas Gandhi begins to fast in protest against autocratic rule in India.
- 1943 Battle of the Bismarck Sea: Australian and American air forces devastate Japanese navy convoy
- 1991 LA Police severly beat motorist Rodney King, captured on amateur video
Censorship: The U.S. Congress enacts the Comstock Law, making it illegal to send any "obscene, lewd, or lascivious" books through the mail.
On March 3rd, 1873