- 363 Roman Emperor Julian moves from Antioch with an army of 90,000 to attack the Sassanid Empire, in a campaign which would bring about his own death.
- 1046 Persian scholar Naser Khosrow begins the seven-year Middle Eastern journey which he will later describe in his book Safarnama.
- 1496 English King Henry VII hands John Cabot (Giovanni Caboto) a commission to explore for new lands
- 1770 Boston Massacre (or the Incident on King Street ), British soldiers kill 5 men in a crowd throwing snowballs, stones, and sticks at them. African American Crispus Attucks 1st to die; later held up as early black martyr. Galvanised anti-British feelings
- 1946 Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech (Fulton Missouri) popularizes the term and draws attention to division of Europe
Smoking tobacco introduced into Europe by Spaniard Francisco Fernandes
On March 5, 1558